FAQ About NYC Movers You should know
A good moving experience depends on your moving company choice. However, finding a trustworthy moving company may seem like you are looking for a needle in the haystack. There are many moving parts on the market, and it’s no wonder that it seems so hard to find a suitable one. However, it doesn’t have to be so difficult if you know what you are looking for. That’s why you should first come up with the right questions to ask when hiring a moving company. And if you don’t know what to ask, stay with your Best Movers NY and check the FAQ about NYC movers you should know. This way, your quest will be easier, and your relocation will be successful.
No matter whether you have moved before or not, there are always some important questions to ask when moving
When hiring a moving company, there are many questions people have regarding the relocation and the services they are going to receive from a moving company. Every company has its own strategies and ways to perform a move depending on the type of the move. That’s why it’s necessary to ask your movers about different things, such as the price, the moving techniques they use, additional fees, insurance, etc. Here are some of the most important questions to ask when moving.
What is the best time to move?
The first question that may pop up in your head after you decide to move is when is the best time to perform the relocation. There are two possible answers to this question. If you want the best weather, the high season is definitely the best time to conduct the move. On the other hand, if you want to have the best price, then avoid the peak-time season, and move during the low season which is winter. However, the best moving time depends on the type of the move, whether it is a residential, commercial, local, or long-distance move. So, ask your local movers NYC to help you decide the best timing. Here are the main characteristics for each season:
- Spring: The demand is not so high and the weather isn’t as harsh as the winter, so choose March and April if possible.
- Summer: Even though summer is an ideal time to move, especially if you are selling your home, it’s also the busiest season. There are many other reasons why people move during summer. The main one is the excellent weather which is very important, especially when moving long distances. Besides, if you have children, it’s easier to move in summer since they are on holiday. However, moving companies are extremely busy then, so hire your long distance movers NYC on time. If not, you risk not finding good movers, or end up moving on your own.
- Fall: Offseason and nice weather conditions for moving. Besides, you may get a good price.
- Winter: It’s perhaps the cheapest season to relocate since the demand is pretty low. Also, the schedules are the most flexible. However, it may not be an ideal timing since the weather can be harsh, especially when moving with children.
What is the best month of the year to move
If you want to avoid peak season and move more cheaply, the best months to move are from mid-September through late April. During these months the demand for movers usually slows down and rates are lower. However, if you don’t mind the price, move during good weather. According to Manhattan Movers, the peak moving season is from May to July. The reason for this is that families with children move during the summer months to avoid moving throughout the school year. However, if you live or want to move to a university city, try avoiding the end of September, and the beginning of October. As you can see, choosing the best month to move depends on your own preferences and the movers’ occupation. However, there’s one small trick. Whichever month you choose, try avoiding the beginning and end of the month. Wonder why? Well, the demand is lower in mid-month.
FAQ About NYC Movers: When should I contact movers?
One of the most common FAQs about NYC movers is definitely the one related to the hiring timing. However, it depends on various factors – the first one being the distance of course. Another factor is the uncertainty about the exact moving time. Usually, you’re not sure when exactly you will move and thus you can’t schedule your movers in advance. In this case, it may be best to contact movers a month in advance. The sooner you decide upon the date the better since you will have enough time to research moving companies and schedule your relocation. Luckily, you don’t have to deal with a lot of research. Best Movers NYC provides you with one of the best databases where you can find all types of movers, from local, long-distance, to commercial and residential movers NYC. Besides, we can help you decide when is the best time to move.
What kind of information should a moving company provide?
When hiring a moving company you should be provided with all information you need. First, your movers should answer moving-related questions and then questions about themselves. Following is the list of the FAQ about NYC movers and their business management:
- How long has your company been in business: The more experience they have, the better relocation experience you’ll get.
- Are you registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration: If you’re moving to a new state, this is the first thing to check since such movers have to be registered here.
- What is an estimate: As its name suggests, an estimate is the approximate cost of your move.
- What kind of estimate do you provide: There are two kinds of moving estimates – A non¬binding estimate and a binding moving estimate. First does not guarantee the price you’ll pay. The actual moving cost can be lower or higher than estimated. On the other hand, a binding estimate is an actual price you will pay. It means that you’ll pay the exact amount of the estimate even if the actual costs are lower or higher than estimated.
- How do you charge: The way they charge will determine your moving prices. Ask your long distance movers Manhattan whether they charge by weight, hourly, or by a number of movers that perform the move?
FAQ about NYC movers and the services they offer
Moving is a very complex venture. That’s why you should familiarize yourself with the whole process from the start to the end. Contact some of the best long distance movers Queens and ask them the following questions:
- What kind of moving services do you offer: If you want to get the whole package of services, check the ones they offer.
- Do you handle specific items such as art, plants, or heavy items: Let them know if you have demanding things to move, such as a piano or antiques. Also, ask if there is any extra charge for that.
- Is there anything you won’t transfer? – Some companies do not transfer hazardous materials, plants, and pets.
- Do you provide disassembling and reassembling services: This is important if you have bulky or antique furniture which needs to be dismantled.
- Do you provide the unpacking services: Usually, movers offer both packing and unpacking services. However, sometimes unpacking services have additional fees.
FAQ about NYC movers: the cost
Besides the company’s information and services your movers provide, they are required to inform you about the prices. So, ask your residential movers Manhattan the following cost-related questions. First, when they provide you with the estimate, ask them whether it is a binding quote? Then, ask them if the quote includes extra charges and fees? Again, ask them how they charge. Then ask about payment options? Also, don’t forget to ask your movers about their cancellation policy? And the most important question is related to moving insurance and its type.
FAQ about NYC movers: the difference between insurance coverage and valuation coverage
The key to a successful move is the safety and the protection of your belongings. So, one of the most important FAQs about NYC movers is related to the type of insurance coverage they offer. No matter whether you are moving just a few blocks away or long distances, your belongings should be insured properly. All movers, including long distance movers Brooklyn, offer liability coverage. However, you should understand that coverage is not exactly the same as insurance. So, you should first understand the main difference between the terms insurance coverage and valuation coverage. Insurance represents a contract that guarantees you compensation for possible belongings damage. On the other hand, valuation refers to the responsibility that movers will assume in case of damage. The responsibility determines how much your movers will reimburse you if your valuables get damaged during the move. Here are the types of valuation coverage:
- Released Value Protection: This type of valuation is included in the moving cost. There’s no additional charge. However, only minimal protection is provided, and sometimes you need additional insurance.
- Full Value Protection: This kind of liability offers customers entire protection in case of damage or loss. However, the cost is deductible.
The main difference between valuation and insurance coverage is that the first is limited, meaning it doesn’t provide full coverage. Besides, if movers lose or damage your belongings, they will only compensate the cost based on the current market value. So, additional third-party insurance can also be an option since it offers full coverage.
What paperwork is a moving company required to provide?
Paperwork is what usually gives us a lot of headaches, especially if we are the ones who deal with red tapes. So, that’s why it’s important to familiarize yourself with the types of documents movers are required to provide to you. When giving the estimate and/or before the move, the mover must supply the following documents:
- A copy of written estimates: binding or non-binding
- A copy of the US DOT (U.S. Department Of Transportation) publication named “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”
- Contact information of the mover
- A bill of lading: It’s the contract between you and your local movers Brooklyn. You should get it before the mover loads your goods. Keep it safe at hand until the whole process is completed.
- Order for service: Often confused with the bill of lading, but this document is not a contract. It authorizes the mover to handle and transport your goods. It also includes any specialized services that you required.
FAQ about NYC movers: How do they organize my move?
Besides the questions about general information, company info, paperwork, price, insurance, and moving timing, the most frequent FAQ about NYC movers is definitely related to the relocation organization and planning. And your best long-distance or residential movers Brooklyn will answer all of your questions related to the whole relocation process. Here’s an example of how they’ll help you organize your move. First, they’ll take a walk around your house to determine the complexity of the move. Then, they’ll provide you with the inventory list based on which you can plan the packing, declutter, and finish everything on time. After providing the relocation plan, they’ll help you pack if you choose professional packing services. First, they’ll disassemble your furniture and pack all the pieces securely. When it comes to packing, ask your movers to provide you with packing supplies and moving equipment. Basically, your movers will make a perfect moving timeline.
FAQ about NYC commercial movers
Want to move your company? Congratulations, brave decision. Business relocation goes one step further than a residential one in terms of complexity. So, the commercial move should be prepared to the slightest details, and there’s almost no room for mistakes. And before you dive into moving preparations and hire commercial movers NYC, let’s answer some of the most important FAQs about NYC commercial movers.
One of the most important FAQs when moving your business is: when is the best time to move my business? – Moving your business to another location is a challenging endeavor since you don’t want to interrupt your business processes. The best time to move your business is outside working hours. However, sometimes it’s not possible. So, you should find commercial movers Manhattan who are able to conduct the relocation without interrupting your business. The next question that imposes when moving your business is – When should I start planning my commercial move? Ideally, you should start planning your relocation about two months or at least a month prior to the actual moving date. Wonder why? It is essential if you have a large company, many employees, and a lot of items to move.
Questions to ask your commercial movers NYC
A Business relocation differs from a residential one in many ways. So, the FAQs about NYC commercial movers slightly differ too. So, here are some of the most important relocation questions to ask your best commercial movers Brooklyn:
- Do you provide packing services? – Office move is the trickiest when it comes to packing, so it’s important to find movers who provide specialized packing services. This way, your items will be properly packed and labeled. Don’t forget to ask them if there are any items they won’t move. Also, check whether they’ll provide you with disassembling and reassembling services.
- Are you able to perform the relocation keeping business continuity? – When moving offices, it’s essential to keep the workflow, so your business and employees do not suffer. Choose a commercial moving company that will provide you with a moving plan tailored to your business needs and schedules.
- What kind of liability coverage do you provide? – Damages happen to even the most careful and organized people. The same goes for commercial moving companies. That’s why you should always ask for liability coverages.
- What is the relocation price, and are there any hidden costs? – Ask your movers to provide you with a binding estimate and check whether there are any add-ons.
Packing FAQ about NYC Movers
Packing is the most challenging process whether you are moving locally, long distances, or moving your home or office. Thus, there are some important FAQs about NYC movers related to their packing services. First, you should ask your best local or long distance movers Staten Island about the types of packing services they offer and what they include. They may offer the following types:
- Full-service packing, crating
- Packing fragile items
- Packing antiques
- Disassembling and reassembling (bulky) furniture
- Specialized packing services for sensitive home electronics
Besides the types of packing services your movers offer, you should ask them some other important questions about packing. So, ask them if they provide all the packing materials. Then, ask them whether you can pack your own belongings. Besides, ask them if you can leave the items in dresser drawers to save space. If you are going to pack the boxes yourself, ask your movers whether they’ll load them in the moving truck in that case. Most importantly, ask your movers what kind of items they won’t pack.
More questions related to packing
Here’s the list of other important questions about packing to ask your movers.
- How would you move my jewelry and other valuable items?
- How should I prepare my appliances, or are you going to do it for me?
- What type of protection options do my belongings have during transport?
- How will you pack my mirrors and pictures?
- What type of protection of my belongings will you provide during transport?
- How can I move my vehicles?
FAQ About NYC movers: Storage
Relocation sometimes requires using storage services. There are a few cases when you need storage units. One is the case when you have to move to a temporary house. The other is when you need to store your belongings after the move if you haven’t found an appropriate home. Also, if you cannot decide what to declutter, you can use storage services. However, using storage is not simply booking a place for storing. Actually, it’s more than that. And to choose the right one, you’ll have to check several things. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about storage:
- In what cases do I need to use storage?
- What kind of storage unit do I need?
- What storage size do I need?
- Can I store my vehicles?
- What are the storage conditions?
- Are my belongings secured and monitored?
- Who packs and stores my belongings?
- Is storage available 24/7?
- What is the price of storage?
- What documents do I need?
There are several types of storage facilities – full-service storage, indoor, outdoor storage, and self-storage. The smallest standard storage size is 5×5. Here, you can put a couple of boxes, mistress, or a smaller wardrobe. Then, you can use a 5×10 storage unit to store furniture. Next, a 10×10 storage unit is for storing a couple of bedrooms. The other sizes are 10×15, 10×20, and 10×30. These are used for storing the entire house and vehicles. The price depends on the size you choose and the number of items you want to store.
Other important FAQs about NYC movers
When hiring residential, commercial, long-distance, or local movers, you should some more questions besides those we’ve already mentioned. Familiarize yourself with the outcomes of the following situations:
- What happens if your movers cannot pick up or deliver your goods on time?
- Will I get any compensation if my shipment is not delivered as promised?
- What happens if there is loss or damage to my belongings? When should I file a claim?
- My responsibilities on the pick-up and delivery dates?
When it comes to movers’ delays, they must meet reasonable dispatch requirements. It means the transportation must happen within the scheduled dates unless the weather conditions prevent them. Usually, movers will compensate you for the delay only if it’s their fault. If there’s any loss or damage, your movers must compensate you, and you’ll have nine months from the delivery to file a claim. However, if you are not satisfied with the compensation, you’ll have to address the court or arbitration. When it comes to your responsibilities during the pick-up and delivery dates, you should receive a bill of lading and movers’ info on the pick-up date, and you are responsible for accepting the delivery.
Contact us today, we’ll answer all FAQs about NYC Movers and help you find the right ones
Many questions about hiring movers may pop up in your head, and Best movers NYC is here to answer the FAQ about NYC movers you should know. Contact us today and we’ll give you the most useful answers to your questions. What’s more, we’ll help you choose the best movers NYC based on your requirements. Our moving database consists of some of the best movers NYC has to offer. Have a safe and smooth relocation.